We are trying something new for the summer recital. Students will be playing 4-5 pieces that they have learned throughout the year. I thought it would be interesting for the audience to see how the students have progressed this year in terms of level of difficulty. It is also taking pressure off the students during the last few weeks of school and the start of summer vacation. I can’t wait to see how the audience responds.
Now that summer piano lessons have begun, what kind of ideas can we use to mix up the routine.
1. Pick a theme- learn patriotic music, learn Disney music, pick a theme and have everyone learn a piece of their choosing.
2. Try some new techniques- use a different ear-training book, pick songs that are catchy to work on intervals
3. Have a measure contest. Who can learn the most measures in a week.
4. Have the student’s pretend to be the teacher an coach their teacher on a piece.
5. Ignore the practice chart. Test the students and see if they can accomplish their goals without having to practice a certain amount of minutes. Are they learning to self-regulate practice time.